[linux-elitists] death knell for shrinkwrap...

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Tue Feb 15 08:15:49 PST 2000

On Tue, Feb 15, 2000 at 07:45:05AM -0800, Heather wrote:

> Jim Dennis predicted that UCITA (if passed and actually attempted to be
> enforced) would be the death knell of commercial software...

YM "proprietary, binary-only" software.  You are fined one round of
Guinness for conduct unbecoming an elitist.

RMS says:

> Sophisticated software companies that make proprietary software will
> use shrink-wrap licenses to avoid liability entirely. But amateurs, and
> self-employed contractors who develop software for others, will be often
> be shafted because they didn't know about this problem. And we free
> software developers won't have any reliable way to avoid the problem.

http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/ucita.html

It seems to me that software distribution sites may have to start
putting in a click-through "no warranty" agreement page for anyone
who chooses to download.  Which is more likely to kill FTP than
anything else, since the most convenient way to do this is with an
HTTP cookie.

--
Don Marti                  US citizens: tell your government how DMCA
dmarti@zgp.org                    will prevent your legitimate use of