[linux-elitists] death knell for shrinkwrap...

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Tue Feb 15 07:45:05 PST 2000

Jim Dennis predicted that UCITA (if passed and actually attempted to be
enforced) would be the death knell of commercial software...

  * because -some- businesses can't afford risky things like agreeing
    to b.s. written on page 23 of a 25 page document of which only
    12 lines are shown to you at a time with an OK button.  (So far,
    they've been relying on the clause waaaay near the bottom that says
    um, and if this is illegal in your state, whatever that was we didn't
    say it, but the rest is in full force.)

  * because if we can't reverse engineer to make interoperable, why
    then, we'll just stop buying the one we can't modify.

I guess we'll get a chance to find out, because Virginia just passed the
darn thing.

-* Heather
   Might as well be frank, monsieur.  It would take a miracle to get you out
   of Casablanca and the Germans have outlawed miracles.  -- Casablanca