[linux-elitists] Man oh man!

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Sun Feb 13 10:12:25 PST 2000

> > http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/1308-1.html
> > It reminds me of Matt Bartley's sig....

[etc. etc.]
> line 142 column 1 - Warning: replacing illegal character code 146
> line 142 column 205 - Warning: missing </font> before <p>
> [...]
>
> Off topic - tidy has a nasty tendency to replace those character codes
> with escape sequences which neither netscape 4.7 nor mozilla
> recognize. (such as ldquo; and &rsquo;) demoronizer replaces seems to
> replace them with simple ACSII workarounds. (` and ' respectively)
> lynx OTOH does seem to recognise ldquo; and &rsquo;.

Ok, elite flame mode on! :)

My current version of lynx wiped out the offending characters entirely
(2.8.2 rel 1).  I'm sure my laptop's more advanced lynx-ssl might do a
better job.  It did however recognize that these weiners don't use ALT
tags on their mostly decorative fluff.  (space.gif, shim.gif, repeated
multiple times)  And their Logo isn't even ALT'd to the name of their
zine.  Duh.

Netscape 4.61 (which I'm sticking with until the others stop being crashy)
puts ? instead of the unrecognized characters.

It's pretty easy to tell about dont and other missing apostrophes though.
Hardly even worth whining about, except to genteely advise them that they
look dumb instead of professional.  They're not following accessibilty
guidelines; given that they're targeting gov that's not too bright either.

They also have an apparently unnecessary cookie, and two ads at the bottom,
one of which my personal adzapper replaced.  The other one doesn't pass
the allowed-in-Heather's-ad-spaces test, so I added it to my adzapper.
  * it is not a locally administered ad selector, which I do allow
    even though I ignore them thereafter.
  * The company administering ads apparently does newsbyte feeds.  That's
    better than the ones who do marcom for a living, but not terribly
    impressive.
  * (only valid for those who target at all) I'm not their target market.
    (I'm sure you've guessed, wildly untargeted ones get the zapper)
  * Its home page gave my NS browser indigestion (clear sign of javascript
    abuse). It loses.

> "When PCs run new applications successfully, most people feel relief
> and almost pathetic gratitude - a standard of reliability tolerated in
> no other consumer product."         _Economist_, Sept. 12 1998

Pavlovian training.

-* Heather Stern * Starshine Technical Services * star@starshine.org *-
And it should be the law: If you use the word `paradigm' without knowing what
the dictionary says it means, you go to jail.  No exceptions.  -- David Jones