[linux-elitists] Man oh man!

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Sun Feb 13 09:42:32 PST 2000

> On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 07:53:36AM -0800, Heather wrote:
>
> > BTW I'm pleased to note I'll be starting with Tuxtops, who'll be selling
> > linux on laptops with NO WINDOWS TAX! :)
>
> I saw their top-of-the-line machine at Linuxworld.  ASL is offering
> the same one, I think, but I don't know the name of the original mfr.

The sample box I'm carrying with me says "ARM" on it, no relation to a
strongARM chip though.

> Very nice -- heavier than the Thinkpad 570 or 600, but decent
> keyboard and screen.  On the other hand, only 2 mouse buttons, and a
> touchpad instead of a nipple pointer, but on the gripping hand,
> my right wrist has been acting up since I started using the
> Thinkpad as my main machine, and a change of pointing device
> might do me good.

You could always put an external mouse on... I have a "joystick" mouse
that is considerably bigger than the eraserhead, and has more buttons.
I wonder if anyone sells SMALL mice for ps/2 ports.

> I think Esc is next to F1, instead of above it, which is good.

Yeah, I like the keyboard too; it has a real T pad for arrows.

> They seem like Good People too -- congratulations, Heather.

:)  And they really wanted *me* specifically, because they know me from
BayLISA.

> (Now if they added a 3rd mouse button,

I hear this is being worked on.  Timeline unknown.

> burned all the GIFs on their web site,

I'll see what can be done, I'm personally betting the website won't
get a redesign until the boxes are ready for shipping.

> and supported Debian,

A fairly popular request at the show, and part of what I'll be working on,
though it won't be the first types that ship.  (There are other dependencies
too)

> but naaah, we must have some reason to feel superior to all Linux vendors
> or we wouldn't be elitists, would we?)

But of course! ;D

* Heather