[linux-elitists] Man oh man!

Matt Bartley mbartley@exair.org
Sun Feb 13 09:27:05 PST 2000

> Probably most of you have seen the /. article, but I find this the first
> of the inevitable round of turnarounds.
>
> http://www.gcn.com/vol1_no1/daily-updates/1308-1.html
>
> It reminds me of Matt Bartley's sig....

One thing I noticed is that someone should have run demoroniser across
that web article:

Tidy (vers 13th January 2000) Parsing "1308-1.html"
[...]
line 141 column 11 - Warning: missing </font> before <p>
line 142 column 1 - Warning: inserting implicit <font>
line 142 column 1 - Warning: replacing illegal character code 146
line 142 column 1 - Warning: replacing illegal character code 146
line 142 column 205 - Warning: missing </font> before <p>
line 143 column 1 - Warning: inserting implicit <font>
line 143 column 1 - Warning: replacing illegal character code 147
line 143 column 1 - Warning: replacing illegal character code 146
line 143 column 1 - Warning: replacing illegal character code 145
line 143 column 1 - Warning: replacing illegal character code 146
line 143 column 1 - Warning: replacing illegal character code 146
line 143 column 1 - Warning: replacing illegal character code 146
[...]

Off topic - tidy has a nasty tendency to replace those character codes
with escape sequences which neither netscape 4.7 nor mozilla
recognize. (such as ldquo; and &rsquo;) demoronizer replaces seems to
replace them with simple ACSII workarounds. (` and ' respectively)
lynx OTOH does seem to recognise ldquo; and &rsquo;.

--
"When PCs run new applications successfully, most people feel relief
and almost pathetic gratitude - a standard of reliability tolerated in