[linux-elitists] Additional error in Computer Currents correction

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Sat Feb 12 19:37:29 PST 2000

Quoting Heather (star@betelgeuse.starshine.org):

> > http://www.currents.net/newstoday/00/02/11/news12.html
> >
> > anyone? anyone?
> >
> > +++ath
> > Derek Vadala, derek@usfca.edu, http://www.cynicism.com/~derek
>
> Hey, that's pretty cool, most people pub their retraction as a tiny
> little footnote somewhere.  They actually flamed the feed that let it
> through, and noted that they passed the comments back.

Yes, but a key statement in the editors' comment is in error:

    Since these agents do not currently run on any version of
    Microsoft Windows, there is no need to scan Windows servers
    with this service.

On Friday afternoon, I apprised Robert Luhn and the Computer Currents
webmaster that a Win32 implementation of TFN _is_ known, and passed
him the BUGTRAQ reference on it.  I hope we will see a fix to this
additional error on Monday.

We could also talk about what a wretched substitute "scanning" makes
for simply _understanding what your system is running_ in the first
place, and therefore what bad advice urging the former is, but that's
a different conversation.

--
Cheers,                Linux:  It is now safe to turn on your computer.
Rick Moen