[linux-elitists] Congress for sale^H^H^H^HSOLD

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Mon Feb 7 10:22:30 PST 2000

Don Marti writes:

> Attention Linux elitists:
>
> If you're a US citizen seeking to use copyrighted works you
> PAID FOR, the government wants to ignore YOU.
>
> Send a list of ways in which the Digital Millennium Copyright
> Act will fuck up YOUR life and work to /dev/null, I mean
> follow the instructions for comments at:
> http://www.loc.gov/copyright/1201/anticirc.html --  same thing.

Note that even if the Librarian of Congress exempted _every_ user of _every_
work from 1201(a), there are still other provisions of the DMCA which would
be completely unaffected, and it would remain illegal under the DMCA to
distribute a circumvention device (interpreted by the MPAA and the Southern
District of New York to include computer programs and technical data
intended to facilitate circumvention).

So the Librarian could say that you're allowed to circumvent copy protection
and access control, but, regardless, nobody would be allowed to help you do
it.