nVidia (was Re: [linux-elitists] CPRM moves forward)

Paul J Collins sneakums@sto-kerrig.org
Tue Dec 26 07:52:09 PST 2000

    EL> On an unrelated vein, is that just me or are nVidia drivers
    EL> really lousy?  I've been very happy with Matrox Mystique and
    EL> Millenium I for many years, and this flaky behaviour (just
    EL> lost an hour of work) is highly untypical of a rock-solid feel
    EL> I had over years become to associate with Linux. Is there a
    EL> recommended list of hardware/software for reliable systems out
    EL> there? I'd really welcome a pointer.

I firmly belive that if nVidia released the source to all the driver
code for their cards, Alan Cox (or someone of his ilk) could knock it
into shape in a few weeks.  He has done similar magic with
once-proprietary driver code in the past.

Apparently there are all kinda of NDAs and cross-licensing agreements
typing up nVidia in this matter.  Not that they would have released
the source in the absence of these issues, just that right now they
simply cannot.

--
Paul Collins <sneakums@sto-kerrig.org> - - - [         ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD