[linux-elitists] CPRM moves forward

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Tue Dec 26 00:26:40 PST 2000

On Mon, 25 Dec 2000, Rick Moen wrote:

> begin  Seth David Schoen quotation:
>
> > The fact that David Wagner and Bruce Schneier have repeatedly pointed
> > out that this is impossible need not deter anyone: we have laws to
> > guarantee that technology is able to do impossible things!
>
> That's the core of the strategy:  If you write in detail about how
> to break the scheme, if only to demonstrate how "trusted" schemes cannot
> work when hardware and software is under user control, and are in a
> reachable jurisdiction, you'll be prosecuted under iteration-n of DMCA.
>
> They don't mind cracks in the scheme, as long as they can fully control
> the mass market.
>
> --
> Cheers,                   "Besides, Debian runs Web sites, Red Hat runs
> Rick Moen                  Quake, and Windows runs Half-Life."

Yes.  And the means to fully control the mass market includes installation
of spy circuitry in all computers that are sold in the mass market.  All,
not some.

People who believe in black helicopters are considered insane.  And it is
among such believers that we shall find allies, as well as among Goreites
and Naderites, and even, and yes, I myself am frightened by this, among
fans of Phil Agre.

oo--JS.