[linux-elitists] CPRM moves forward

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Tue Dec 26 00:20:08 PST 2000

On Mon, 25 Dec 2000, Seth David Schoen wrote:

> If I'm right, CPRM in our hard drives would have no effect on Linux
> users, except
>
> - more expensive hard drives
> - that subsidize lawsuits like _DVD CCA v. McLaughlin_
> - no Linux support for certain media types (CD-ROMs with encrypted
>   music, etc.) -- which is the status quo, but there would be a
>   widespread technological framework for creating new ones.
>
> --
> Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org>  | And do not say, I will study when I

I disagree.  Acceptance of such schemes amounts to agreement to having
your own hardware act like the TVs in "1984":  the hard drive is an
instrument of the No-Copyists.  Acceptance means you agree to have secret
circuitry under the sole command of the No-Copy Convention Signatories
installed in every electronic device in your house, on your person, in all
libraries, schools, etc..  Indeed, "untrustworthy" devices must be ruled
illegal, else the crudest of market forces will prevent the installation
of "trusted" devices.

This is one battle we can not avoid, if we are to win the war.

oo--JS.