[linux-elitists] CPRM moves forward

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Dec 25 12:24:48 PST 2000

begin  Seth David Schoen quotation:

> The fact that David Wagner and Bruce Schneier have repeatedly pointed
> out that this is impossible need not deter anyone: we have laws to
> guarantee that technology is able to do impossible things!

That's the core of the strategy:  If you write in detail about how
to break the scheme, if only to demonstrate how "trusted" schemes cannot
work when hardware and software is under user control, and are in a
reachable jurisdiction, you'll be prosecuted under iteration-n of DMCA.

They don't mind cracks in the scheme, as long as they can fully control
the mass market.

--
Cheers,                   "Besides, Debian runs Web sites, Red Hat runs
Rick Moen                  Quake, and Windows runs Half-Life."