[linux-elitists] CPRM moves forward

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Sun Dec 24 08:45:23 PST 2000

On Sun, 24 Dec 2000, Don Marti wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 07:53:55AM -0800, Seth David Schoen wrote:
>
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/15620.html
>
> Your ATA hard drive, that is. All together now, "elitists only
> use SCSI."
>
> But wouldn't putting an encrypted filesystem (Linux International Kernel
> Patch, anyone?) onto one of these just fake it out of its socks anyway?
>
> --
> Don Marti                             Non aux Brevets Logiciels

I do not know the system proposed for new IDE drives.  But there exist
systems for which the standard work arounds are much harder to execute.
Files can be encrypted and checked for licenses and signed by every
hardrive that reads and writes them.  The crucial idea here is that the
key(s) for each drive may be a meg or more in size.  Once one gets over
the idea that keys must be merely a K or so in length, new crypto
systems not well known to the population of sci.crypt become obvious.

The folk theorem that such systems cannot really work absent complete
control of the consuming units' brains still holds.  But the claimed
corollary of necessary failure in practice does not.  All the No-Copyists
have to do is increase by a bit the frictional costs of copying.  So these
new hardware protection systems, coupled with pressure on ISPs who are
discovered to have allowed the transmission of freed once copy protected
works, will, I believe, suffice to end for a long time any private
ownership of computers, and also an end to any unlicensed code writing.

oo--JS.