[linux-elitists] Prior art search, anyone?

Heather star@starshine.org
Fri Dec 15 00:21:54 PST 2000

> If this doesn't convince people that software patents are a crock
> of shit, nothing will.  BT is suing Prodigy Communications Corp., of
> all people, over their bogus "hyperlink patent."

> http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-200-4155134.html?tag=st.ne.1002.lthd

Hmm, 1976.  What year was CERN passing around links in the beginnings of
the web?  Well if you believe this one
	http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~abhu000/rp593m.disc.tbl.html
it was 1980.  same year that weener apploader DOS says when it boots during
a bad hair day.

Numerous early software helpfiles had cross references in the help - those
are hyperlinks, no?  Though you'll have to find specific instances to show
prior art.  But, there were numerous competing "personal computers" back
then, and only one needs to have had an app with interlinking help to be
considered.  Anyone know a good archive of Apple ][ or Commodore apps?

> BT's lawyers? Kenyon & Kenyon, the same firm that sent out the CueCat
> letters. Can you say "took the short bus to law school", boys and girls?
>
> Obviously, BT's quiet shakedown of the major ISPs has gone nowhere.
> Remember, they hired some "intellectual property licensing" firm to
> negotiate patent licenses...and which was louder, the doors slamming in
> their face, or the laughter, we'll probably never know.
>
> Anyway, Prodigy being rather the small fish in all this, I think that
> people should volunteer to help them out.  Perhaps I'll do the open
> letter thing.

Go for it, Don!

* Heather * Wad some power the giftie gie us
            To see oursels as others see us.  -- R. Browning