[linux-elitists] RMS is at it again

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Mon Dec 4 16:45:15 PST 2000

Joakim Ziegler writes:

> On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 11:01:28AM -0800, Heather Stern wrote:
>
> I generally agree with you, although I thought I'd comment on the paragraph
> below.
>
> > The real problem with RMS' philosophy is that he claims a fairly noble ideal
> > (which he also seems to deeply believe in) but, he has chosen a means to
> > implement it which depends on lawyers and restricting rights.  Restriction of
> > rights as a means to a goal of increased rights.... I dunno 'bout *you* but
> > I see a bug in this design.
>
> Most people who aren't anarchists or anarcho-capitalists or somesuch believe
> a certain amount of restrictions on rights are required to maintain rights.
> For instance, it's illegal to shout fire in a crowded theatre, even though
> this is technically infringement of freedom of speech. Even more basically,
> your personal freedom and right to murder people is restricted, for the good
> of the community.

Hmmmm,

anarchists don't all think that these limitations are problematic --
or argee that they are limitations on rights.

Restrictions on behavior are only restrictions of rights if you
actually have a right to engage in the behavior in the first place.
It seems very mistaken to me to suggest that all anarchists believe
that there is a right to engage in _every_ possible behavior (such as
murdering people).

Peculiar to anarchism are particular concerns about the nature of
restrictions and how they may be realized.

I also have a big problem with the claim that those examples are
restrictions made "for the good of the community".  Obviously there
are some nice social benefits from the prohibition of murder, but...