[linux-elitists] RMS is at it again

Joakim Ziegler joakim@helixcode.com
Fri Dec 1 15:09:31 PST 2000

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 11:01:28AM -0800, Heather Stern wrote:

I generally agree with you, although I thought I'd comment on the paragraph
below.

> The real problem with RMS' philosophy is that he claims a fairly noble ideal
> (which he also seems to deeply believe in) but, he has chosen a means to
> implement it which depends on lawyers and restricting rights.  Restriction of
> rights as a means to a goal of increased rights.... I dunno 'bout *you* but
> I see a bug in this design.

Most people who aren't anarchists or anarcho-capitalists or somesuch believe
a certain amount of restrictions on rights are required to maintain rights.
For instance, it's illegal to shout fire in a crowded theatre, even though
this is technically infringement of freedom of speech. Even more basically,
your personal freedom and right to murder people is restricted, for the good
of the community.

Of course, if you still find RMS' and the GPL's approach to maintaining
people's basic freedoms of software reprehensible, there's always the BSD
license, feel free to use it.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Helix Code web monkey - joakim@helixcode.com - Radagast@IRC
      FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer