[linux-elitists] RMS is at it again

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Dec 1 13:56:40 PST 2000

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 11:01:28AM -0800, Heather Stern wrote:

> I mean, get real.  Let's take his scenario at its tightest bound, where he
> is purely right and some nefarious twit is out there downloading .deb's and
> any .rpm's that don't carry defensive notes, and burying them in propriety
> because "my copy came with no license therefore I can do it".  Bullpocky.
> Drag their butt into court, show the judge your copyright filing and the ways
> which you properly provide the info, and he throws the book at this clown for
> clearly circumventing the normal way of things.

That's not the problem. Only the GPL gives any hypothetical "nefarious
twit" the right to copy or redistribute the package. No GPL, no
permission to copy.

RMS is not alleging that distributing GPL-covered software without
a copy of the GPL makes the software available for copying not in
accordance with the GPL.

However, it's not legal for _Debian_ to distribute GPL software without
the GPL itself.

A suggestion for handling this appears on the debian-policy list:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-policy-0011/msg00242.html

It looks like this "issue" will only hog bandwidth and CD space, not
disk space on installed Debian systems.

And of course it increases the benefit of rsyncing source packages to
create your own binary packages locally, which would be almost as
cool as apt-get over Freenet.

--
Don Marti                             Non aux Brevets Logiciels
dmarti@zgp.org                        http://petition.eurolinux.org/