[linux-elitists] RMS is at it again

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Fri Dec 1 08:17:49 PST 2000

On Fri, Dec 01, 2000 at 10:59:40AM -0600, Joakim Ziegler wrote:

> It seems to me that they could probably apply some of the same magic they use
> to make custom ISO images, to this, so that you'd only get one copy on your
> ISO image, for instance.

I don't think you understand debian. No serrious Debian users use CD's
over the FTP archive, which is always up-to-date. RMS' logic is that
since you can download .deb packages from the debian ftp archive, and
since there are thousands of GPL'd debs they only point to the one copy
that IS included in the base system, people COULD download a deb without
being on a debian system, convert it to some other format, and not have
a copy of the GPL!!! What a major violation on Debian's part!

Do you see how this is absurd?