[linux-elitists] RMS is at it again

Joakim Ziegler joakim@helixcode.com
Fri Dec 1 08:59:40 PST 2000

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 09:33:32PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> on Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 11:59:36PM -0600, Joakim Ziegler (joakim@helixcode.com) wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 07:27:19PM -0800, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
>>> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?archive=no&bug=78341

>>> BSD license here we come!

>> Because?
>> What he's saying is true. The people creating the software chose to use the
>> GPL, hence one must assume they intended it to be followed.

> My only question is whether or not a dependency on a GPL package might
> be considered a reasonable proxy.

> The alternative would seem to be including the GPL in each seperate
> package.  It's about 18k, not obscenely bad in itself, but somewhat
> annoying for a packaged dist.

It seems to me that they could probably apply some of the same magic they use
to make custom ISO images, to this, so that you'd only get one copy on your
ISO image, for instance.

--
Joakim Ziegler - Helix Code web monkey - joakim@helixcode.com - Radagast@IRC
      FIX sysop - free software coder - FIDEL & Conglomerate developer