[linux-elitists] We are elitist criminals!

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Thu Aug 31 19:49:28 PDT 2000

> Hm, Heather, that common filk license you refer to is not DFSG free.

Oh well.  That's the way the cookie crumbles, it's waaaay better than
what you'd get if folks went around with a (P) on their music.

Some people license theirs as postcardware - sing freely, if you modify,
send me a copy.  Which would still land it firmly in contrib, as expecting
action on the part of the recipient.

Besides, if you want to make a buck off my stuff, I have a fairly
nice singing voice (I get ribbed about it by some of my friends who are
professional Folk Singers - that if I did this and that, I could be a
professional.  I am already a professional, of course - just in another
profession.) and some ties amongst the small recording houses of
Filkdom.  I could probably easily get you the handwave from the folks
who wrote the tunes.

Unless it's Firebird.  Then forget it, they're as hopeless as Lucent
coughing up their modem controller software.  (Either could happen.
Check your lotto tix first tho, you might have won $100.)

I have written a few of my own tunes ... very few ... but they have weird
rythm.   Not nearly as weird as rms' - but I wrote my tunes to be sung,
not to be written down.

Some of the filk that is DFSG free (sing anywhere, we don't mind) isn't
good enough to sing anywhere.

There's a friend of mine who believes that the GPL itself violates the
DFSG strongly, as having a significant bias against commercial endeavor.

Now what would be the real GPL of music?  Um,

	Copy freely
	Sing Freely
	You may derive works as long as you publish them so anybody
		can derive more works
	Don't stop anyone from singing them

Ouch, my poor ears.  They just remembered rms singing.  Waaaah.

What would be the real BSDish of music?  "The copy center is over there."
When you derive stuff don't try to claim they're mine anymore.

This isn't really compatible with the folk process.  "Sysadmin's Song"
is still mine even though ESR tacked on a couple of verses.  And he's
not gonna have a snit if I sing it with or without his verses, or mess
with them some more.

> "The DeCSS song is "DVDdescramble.c" in plain english. Anyone who knows
> c should be able to figure it out."
>
> "A lot of people have asked if the descramble song is copyrighted. It's
> under the GPL as soon as we figure out a good base-line for "GPL" (it's
> going to be kind of bluesy)."

You can publish the music score in MusicTex.

Maybe it could be made into a good talking blues, but the GPL says that
it's not to be modified, only to have addendae tacked on.  So the GPL
isn't really under the GPL, and someone might be unhappy about your
derivitive work.

Whether or not you sing on tune :(

> http://www.joeysmith.com/~jwecker/
> --
> see shy jo

* Heather *
When confronted by a difficult problem, you can solve it more easily by
reducing it to the question, "How would the Lone Ranger handle this?"