[linux-elitists] ME roadshow

Paul J Collins sneakums@eircom.net
Wed Aug 30 13:28:56 PDT 2000

    Eugene> True, but there is a Linux wrapper for L4. You _can_ have
    Eugene> the best of both worlds.

Not a wrapper; it's a Linux super-server, much in the style of the BSD
super-server that NeXTstep uses on top of Mach.  Running Linux-L4
doesn't buy much from what I can see.  You're adding some overhead for
no discernible gain.

    Eugene> Blechhhh. But: lrz:/home/eugene.leitl # ls -l /boot/linux3
    Eugene> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root       966271 Jan  9  2000 /boot/linux3

    Eugene> 966271 octets _is_ a country-fair kernel. See, I'm used to
    Eugene> Forth systems, where 2 kBytes is doable, and 16 kBytes is
    Eugene> fat, fat, fat.

I guess it's all perspectives.  But I doubt that your two kilobyte
Forth kernel provides everything that your fat Linux kernel does.

  $ ls -l /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0-test7
  -rw-rw----    1 root     root       587871 Aug 28 19:49 vmlinuz-2.4.0-test7

What on earth do you have in your kernel?

--
Paul Collins <sneakums@eircom.net> - - - - - [ A&P,a&f ]
 GPG: 0A49 49A9 2932 0EE5 89B2  9EE0 3B65 7154 8131 1BCD