[linux-elitists] ME roadshow

Eugene Leitl eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Wed Aug 30 12:16:40 PDT 2000

Paul J Collins writes:

 > Being a know-nothing slob, I am not keen to get into a
 > Torvalds-Tanenbaum.  The point I was trying to make is that the

Hey, knowing nothing doesn't prevent one from having an opinion ;)

 > kernels of QNX and Unix are very different animals.

True, but there is a Linux wrapper for L4. You _can_ have the best of
both worlds.

 > I try to follow the summaries of linux-kernel, and I get the
 > impression that Linus Torvalds tries very hard to keep stuff out of
 > the kernel where possible.  If you want to see a country-fair kernel,
 > check out Windows NT.

Blechhhh. But: lrz:/home/eugene.leitl # ls -l /boot/linux3
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root       966271 Jan  9  2000 /boot/linux3

966271 octets _is_ a country-fair kernel. See, I'm used to Forth
systems, where 2 kBytes is doable, and 16 kBytes is fat, fat, fat.

-- Eugene

P.S. Munich weather sucks. I'm missing the Calif sun.