[linux-elitists] We are elitist criminals!

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Wed Aug 30 10:06:58 PDT 2000

begin  Ben quotation:

>> What, you've never heard of FILK!?!
>>
>> Shame on you.
>
> Nope never heard of it. What is it?

http://sundry.hsc.usc.edu/whatfilk.html

What the Heck is Filk Music?

by Nick Smith (of LA Filkharmonics)

Well, it's sort of like folk music. It is a mixture of song parodies and
original music, humorous and serious, about subjects like science
fiction, fantasy, computers, cats, politics, the space program, books,
movies, TV shows, love, war, death....

Filk music started off forty or fifty years ago, at science fiction
conventions, where people got together late at night to have good
old-fashioned folk music song circles. Well, late night circles being
what they are, some folks got a little silly and started singing song
parodies about their favorite SF books and authors. Fans started writing
song parodies about themselves or each other. Some started composing
serious songs about favorite topics. Some authors started composing
original songs for their books. If the author didn't list a tune, fans
made up one. Sometimes two. Sometimes several.

Eventually, Filk songs were written for just about every major science
fiction or fantasy work. Some of them were actually good enough that
people wanted to learn them, or just listen to them more than just at
conventions. At that point, song books and recordings started being
made. Over the last decade, Filk Music has reached the point where there
are entire Filk Music gatherings, conventions, recording companies, and
publications.

Filk Music includes song parodies, original songs, and slightly musical
poetry. It's a fun way to indulge in a little musical creativity,
especially if you are a science fiction or fantasy fan as well as
musically inclined. If you are only a fan, but not musical, you can
still listen. Filk circles aren't pushy about requiring you to play or
sing. If you are only musical, but not a fan, no one will hold it
against you. Remember, we're in this thing for fun!

[Written for flyer for distribution at California Traditional Music
Society Annual Summer Solstice Dulcimer Festival and other local Los
Angeles folk music events and stores.]

What Nick didn't tell you is that the name started out as a typo of
"folk" and was gleefully adopted by all and sundry as a term for what is
after all a somewhat unusual subset.
 --Kay Shapero, Moderator/Designated Topic Cop, FILK echo

http://www.terindell.com/asylum/filk/info/tomsmith.html