[linux-elitists] Accountability and leverage (was: University of EULA?)

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Tue Aug 29 16:02:34 PDT 2000

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Rick Moen wrote:

>   Mike Schilling, mschilling@be.ucla.edu, 310-825-5125
>      Business and Finance Department's Information Technology Group
>      (oversees the Student Technology Center, which administers the
>      dorm LAN and WAN)

Let's not forget the Regents. Sorry, I don't have time to look it up, but
I would cc all complaints to the Regents as well.

> When people like Schilling take truly stunningly unprofessional and
> arbitrary actions, they inevitably do everything they can to remain
> faceless, and hide behind their employers.  This needs to come to an
> end.

Let's not forget that those of us in California PAY for this stupidity.
It's not enough that it's an education institution, but I refuse to have
my tax dollars spent for this kind of crap.

> Deirdre's lever in _her_ university standoff turned out to be the
> Americans with Disability Act.  Pettifoggers everywhere _hate_ even
> having to worry about an ADA action.

Even Olympic committees. ;)

> And if you're thinking of going privately to management to tell them
> your company's good-old-boy CIO is behaving extremely appropriately
> towards substantively all the female staff, make an appointment
> _first_ with the EEOC, so you're protected against the firm taking the
> easy kill-the-messenger route out.  (Right, Robin?)

Yeah, exactly.

People may think ill of the fact that I'm a Klingon diplomat, but they
forget that there's a *reason* I am. Several reasons.

"We can always count on the British. Except for the Revolutionary War
they've been perfect." -- Mel Brooks, on the first Concorde flight since
the Paris crash.