[linux-elitists] University of EULA?

Steve Beattie steve@wirex.net
Tue Aug 29 12:54:55 PDT 2000

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 11:27:17AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:

> Then they're the Enemy. Why should somebody pay to go to graduate
> school [...]

Hey, we're not talking about History or English graduate programs here
:-). Most CS and engineering graduate programs I've ever heard of[1]
support their PhD students and usually most of their Masters students with
a stipend and tuition waiver. Heck, when I was beating my head against
the PhD wall, they even provided a modicum of health insurance[2]. Sure,
it's usually a miserly pittance that barely covers the cost of living
in the region, but still. The only paying suckers in my experience were
the part-timers whose employers were footing the bill.

> to create "IP" that will be licensed to a proprietary software
> company and do nobody any good?

Usually a guaranteed job with hefty stock options after graduation is
the usual answer.

> And why should the government tax
> these "schools" any differently from private-sector research labs? Get
> the hackers out of the universities and the problem will take care of
> itself.

You'd be killing a significant of open source work as well. StackGuard
and the other Immunix research were all funded through DARPA. In part,
that was my advisor's (and now my boss at WireX) intent -- that by
doing research on open source software, the GPL limited the IP hoarding
possibilities of the parent University. And DARPA in the past few years
has had a big push towards supporting research on OSS.

That said, hackers are already leaving grad schools in droves. Graduate
programs are having a really difficult time finding any students because
the perceived income benefit of a graduate degree doesn't make up for
the 2-7 years of servitude at near or below minimum wage income.

> Linux banned in the dorms at UCLA: http://oppression.nerdherd.org/

That's just wrong. But then in my undergraduate days, I never lived
in the dorms because it was a dry campus[3] and off-campus
housing was usually a much better deal.

[1] Programs with a _wide_ range of quality.

[2] Okay, der kaiser permanente, so it doesn't count as real health
    insurance.

[3] No alcool permitted, unless you were an administrator who could
    grant yourself an exception permit.

--
Steve Beattie                                  Don't trust programmers?
<steve@wirex.net>                            Complete StackGuard distro at