[linux-elitists] University of EULA?

Greg KH greg@wirex.com
Tue Aug 29 11:59:02 PDT 2000

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 11:12:33AM -0700, Deirdre Saoirse wrote:

> Actually, you never had my favorite professors. :)
>
> As far as I can tell, the only type of file he disdained was FrameMaker.
> He preferred TeX, as did many of the early professors I had (sadly, many
> are gone).
>
> And, they encouraged people to write platform-agnostic code.

That would have been a nice change. I never had that luxury (but then
again I think my school sucked...)

> The "new" profs are all Microsofty.

But what has really changed? My "old" profs were all DECy and Suny and
Minixy (no wait, that last one was pretty cool...)

I dislike Microsoft just as much as the next kernel hacker, but I think
that professors have always has allegiances to specific platforms for
various reasons (and I happen to have liked the one that made me learn
Xlib on HPUX for a project.)

Now what is a bit frightening is the lack of exposure to different
platforms by students. Let's see in order to get my degree I had to
program the following machines:
	- VAX VMS (pascal, modula2 and some database code, the C
	  compiler sucked raw eggs)
	- Minix (C)
	- 68000 (assembly)
	- HPUX (C)
	- SunOs (C)
	- MSDOS (C and C++)

Now I do think that my education sucked, and I stretched it out for a
relatively long period of time, but I do appreciate the variety that I
was exposed to.

I feel for the people whom I see only coding on one OS and one
processor.

greg k-h

--
greg(kroah|wirex).com