[linux-elitists] University of EULA?

Greg KH greg@wirex.com
Tue Aug 29 11:13:00 PDT 2000

I don't understand what is new here:

On Tue, Aug 29, 2000 at 10:35:13AM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> 2. Mandatory proprietary software to complete class assignments.*
>    (and now mandatory proprietary e-books:
>    http://www.advogato.org/article/154.html)

They have always told you what systems to write your code on, "You must
use the compiler on the VAX cluster called 'elm' if you want us to grade
your project." There's no way any professor or grad student lackey would
say, "Write your code for any system out there, and I'll grade it just
fine." They would be insane (Java rules do not apply as much here.)

Now the e-books are a different story.

> 3. Mandatory "technology fee" to support proprietary software
>    site licenses.

Again nothing new, I remember my student fees going to keep up the old
VAX VMS cluster at my school.

> 4. Cowardly policies that punish students for posting controversial
>    material: http://www.geocities.com/zkarpinski/

Again, nothing new. Look at all of the schools who trample over students
rights when they publish "bad things" in the school newspapers. History
is full of these cases.

> 5. Asshole professors and grad students who take public money to do
>    research, then patent it for their own startup companies (Larry
>    Page, Ron Rivest)

This is nothing new. Usually the University goes after the people, and
they usually settle for some small licensing fee (see GatorAid and the
University of Florida for one such example).

> 6. Willingness of researchers to sign NDAs for research money, thereby
>    "tainting" students.

What's the legality of the students who have not signed the NDAs. And
most NDAs are a joke anyway :)

> 7. Culture of bureaucracy incompatible with a free society or a market
>    economy

Ah, but this a University, not a market economy :)

Things like this always remind me of how much I hated school.

greg k-h

--
greg@(kroah|wirex).com