[linux-elitists] University of EULA?

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Tue Aug 29 10:35:58 PDT 2000

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000, Don Marti wrote:

> 2. Mandatory proprietary software to complete class assignments.*
>    (and now mandatory proprietary e-books:
>    http://www.advogato.org/article/154.html)
> * hi Deirdre

Well, my own university became enlightened after I pointed out the ADA
effects (much like the problem mentioned on /. yesterday with the Olympics
web site): those of us with limited vision (ocular, not mental) don't use
Windows. Requiring the use of Windows (or MacOS or any other GUI) excludes
blind students and therefore violates federal law.

You'll note that my own (ex) school (I quit) changed their requirements
listed on
http://www.scis.nova.edu/Info/Faqpages/PC_Requirements/Comp-requirement.html
to:

"...some professors may require you to convert your files to a MS-Office
compatible format for online submission."

Which, since text and html are compatible, is fine with me.

I'm not sure I should say "ex" -- I still have an account there. :)

> Any reason why hackers should "stay in school?"  Maybe we should leave
> the universities to English and History majors.

I was an English major; what's wrong with that? :)

(I also confess to once having enrolled in a MA program in History. Sue
me.)

"We can always count on the British. Except for the Revolutionary War
they've been perfect." -- Mel Brooks, on the first Concorde flight since
the Paris crash.