[linux-elitists] University of EULA?
Tue Aug 29 10:35:13 PDT 2000
Universities are getting to be bad places for hackers now.
1. "No Linux or Unix in dorms" policies.
2. Mandatory proprietary software to complete class assignments.*
(and now mandatory proprietary e-books:
3. Mandatory "technology fee" to support proprietary software
4. Cowardly policies that punish students for posting controversial
5. Asshole professors and grad students who take public money to do
research, then patent it for their own startup companies (Larry
Page, Ron Rivest)
6. Willingness of researchers to sign NDAs for research money, thereby
7. Culture of bureaucracy incompatible with a free society or a market
8. Loyalty oaths.**
* hi Deirdre
** hi Seth
Any reason why hackers should "stay in school?" Maybe we should leave
the universities to English and History majors.
Don Marti No haiku patents
email@example.com means I've no incentive to
whois DM683 Software patent reform now: http://burnallgifs.org/
More information about the linux-elitists