[linux-elitists] California Uber Alles

Rusty Foster rusty@kuro5hin.org
Fri Aug 25 18:29:57 PDT 2000

Aaron Lehmann wrote:

> As much as I hate posting recycled slashdot crap,
> http://slashdot.org/yro/00/08/26/0330249.shtml really caught my eye.
> I'm hoping that we can have a discussion here that won't be as lame as
> the typical slashdot one.
>
> Is it time for BurnAllDVDs.org ?

Is it just me, or is California the most insanely litigious and
legalistic place on the planet? The popular myth is that the West coast
is laid-back, easy-go-lucky, and cool. Think Kerouac lying out under the
stars, etc. Lies! All lies!

You get here and discover:

* No smoking anywhere.
* (The tragically unconstitutional) 3 Strikes Law
* and now this...

"...Pavlovich seeks to escape the jurisdiction of this Court on the
grounds that the computer terminals through which he carried out his
wrongful actions were located in other states."
(http://cryptome.org/dvd-v-521-opq.htm)

Imagine that. Pavlovitch has the temerity to argue that because he was
not *IN* California when he did what he did, California does not in fact
have any jurisdiction to prosecute him. The Feuhrer will be most
displeased.

The rest of the brief is just what you'd expect. "Blah blah blah...
injurious... blah blah... sole licensor... blah". Whatever. I just
wanted to complain about the way California appears to believe it has
jurisdiction over whatever it chooses to have jurisdiction over.

--R, fitting right in in the sunny West.
|      Rusty Foster       | "One great big festering neon distraction |
|   rusty@kuro5hin.org    |  I've a suggestion to keep you all        |
| http://www.kuro5hin.org |  occupied..."                      --Tool |