[linux-elitists] Linux Journal needs distribution reviewers.

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Fri Aug 25 17:39:54 PDT 2000

> ----- Forwarded message from Don Marti <dmarti@linuxjournal.com> -----
>
> Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 13:00:02 -0700
> From: Don Marti <dmarti@linuxjournal.com>
> Subject: LJ needs distribution reviews
> To: lj-authors@ssc.com
>
> Attention Linux Journal contributors:
>
> Some former hash dealers in Uzbekistan shoplifted a copy of Red Hat, put
> their name in, added a new version of Freecell, designed a T-shirt, and
> sat back to enjoy a well-deserved smoke. Congratulations, people, you're
> in the Linux distribution business.
>
> End of story, right? Wrong! Somebody has to review the damn thing. Along
> with every other Linux distribution that some no-better-idea-having
> wannabe entrepreneur whomped up while we weren't looking.
>
> Are you prepared to write an overview of hundreds of megabytes of
> software and get brutally flamed by thousands of distribution bigots if
> you miss one tiny utility?

[descriptions of brutality trimmed]

> No more casual glances. No more bootie-kissing reviews. The great
> distribution consolidation is at hand, and we're just the people to mow
> them down and burn them like fungus-infested oats. Mow them down with
> the FACTS, that is. LJ contributors! Be ye men|women or mice? Will you
> do this savage, violent yet technotically detailed writing job? And
> make it compelling, or at least not I-put-the-cd-in-the-drive painfully
> boring?

While I don't have time to go for this, my hot questions would be:

*  what if you can't boot off their CD?  (eg some laptops, many older
   systems)  are you just screwed?

*  text mode curmudgeons R us.  How easy is it to install a totally
   non-graphical system?

*  flipping the coin over - does it have the latest hot video drivers?
   any commercial stuff?  Did they try Xfre86 4.0 (and if so, did they
   leave 3.3.6 in there so a bunch of unsupported cool cards still have
   a life)?

*  Okay, so my mom in law is not "granny" but she is still kinda scared
   of upgrading the OS on her Performa.  Can a non-geek who nonetheless
   figure out that it's a great idea to stop doing backups when things
   get wiggy, be expected to install this without help from her ubergeek
   youngsters?

(hey, there's a thought, maybe my mom-in-law could do reviews.)

ANyways best of luck finding some folks for this.  I'll pass the word
around.

* Heather * Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them
            the usual way.  This happens to us all the time with computers,
            and nobody thinks of complaining.  -- Jeff Raskin