[linux-elitists] a lame query

Eugene Leitl eugene.leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Aug 10 21:56:45 PDT 2000

Michael Higashi writes:

 > If you're going to run your own nameserver, and I agree with Don that this
 > is the way to go, you also need to give your registrar information about

The problem is: the shop I'm with is accessing the Internet via Linux
box doing NAT/masquerading, the same box is running the web and the
ftp server, and mail services. (I know that without an extra firewall
this setup is highly insecure, but I don't have time to fiddle with
this). This so far more or less is a vanilla Mandrake out of the box,
with the exception of the few magic lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.local
switching on maquerading.

Now I'm leaving the shop in a few days, so whoever is going to have to
restore the box in case it gets nuked is certainly no
propellerhead. Adding a potentially nontrivial DNS setup to an
essentially vanilla Mandrake box, does it make sense, if there is a
simpler way?

 > the _host_ that the name server software is running on, so you don't have

http://TotalNIC.net thing is pretty anal about which name servers it
knows. For instance, it has no clue about 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, 4.2.2.3,
which are legit (albeit badly chosen?!) GTE/Verizon DNS servers.

Is there some kind of an authenticated DNS server list somewhere,
where one has to register? One of their FAQs seems to say so:

 "I keep getting error #898. What's wrong?

  This error relates to the creation of nameservers in domains
  registered with NSI or another registrar (ie not through
  TotalNIC and/or CORE). This error also applies to
  nameservers within two letter country code top level domains.
  You must first ensure that your host is registered with NSI
  before using an "external" nameserver with TotalNIC. Go to
  http://www.networksolutions.com/cgi-bin/makechanges/itts/host"
         host of evil