[linux-elitists] a lame query

Michael Higashi mhigashi@hooked.net
Thu Aug 10 18:29:45 PDT 2000

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Don Marti wrote:

> begin  Eugene Leitl quotation of Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 05:44:08PM -0700:
>
> > Sorry for a stupid question, but how do the mechanics of letting a
> > domain name point to a given static IP work?
>
> First you need to set up DNS and get it working locally.  The DNS HOWTO
> is good, as are the docs that come with the BIND package.  Then, once your
> own nameserver is working, get someone to set up a secondary nameserver
> for you (people on this list will do that) and contact your registrar
> to have them make your nameserver, and the secondary, the new nameservers
> for your domain.

If you're going to run your own nameserver, and I agree with Don that this
is the way to go, you also need to give your registrar information about
the _host_ that the name server software is running on, so you don't have
a chicken-and-egg problem of how to look up a name from a name server that
points to itself as its own nameserver.

Mike

--
Michael Higashi