[linux-elitists] a lame query

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Aug 10 08:56:05 PDT 2000

begin  Eugene Leitl quotation of Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 05:44:08PM -0700:

> Sorry for a stupid question, but how do the mechanics of letting a
> domain name point to a given static IP work?

First you need to set up DNS and get it working locally.  The DNS HOWTO
is good, as are the docs that come with the BIND package.  Then, once your
own nameserver is working, get someone to set up a secondary nameserver
for you (people on this list will do that) and contact your registrar
to have them make your nameserver, and the secondary, the new nameservers
for your domain.

For security reasons, don't install BIND off a CD.  make sure you have the
very latest version for your distribution.  (Red Hat calls the package
"named", I think, and Debian calls it "bind")

> Do I have to do anything with on the ISPs side, or would entering
> GTE's DNS servers in the TotalNIC's web form do the trick?

Forget the GTE nameservers exist. They don't know anything about your
domain.

GTE runs nameservers? <shudder> At the place I used to work, some
dumbass in a pickup truck ran over the phone box in front of the
building, and GTE fixed it with garbage bags and duct tape.

DNS Resources Directory: http://www.dns.net/dnsrd/

--
Don Marti                                No haiku patents
dmarti@zgp.org                           means I've no incentive to