[linux-elitists] Press 1 for Linux support. Press 2 for...

Thu Aug 3 16:25:45 PDT 2000

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 03:54:32PM -0700, Phil Hughes wrote:
> The amazing Don Marti wrote:
> > Caldera is going to need a lot of 4-way KVM switches for the support
> > department.
> >
> > "Moving forward, we intend to support OpenServer, UnixWare, Project
> > Monterey and Linux as kernel platforms," Love said.
>
> I was in the press conference on this yesterday.  Clearly they had to
> say this in order to not scare people off but, here is my read:
>   * OpenServer just exists.  A final release will be announced
>     soon--I'm guessing at Forum 2000--and it will be "supported"
>     in terms of being able to tell people it works but don't expect
>     any development.  Or, using the proper buzzword, "it's a mature
>     product".
>   * UnixWare, they claim, supports high-end clusters that Linux does
>     not support.  This may be true--for the next few months.  What
>     they have is an installed base and some of their customers
>     have source code licenses.  They will stay with UnixWare because
>     they don't want to port their kernel changes to anything else.
>   * Monterey ...  I don't know where this is going.

North, at the rate of about 4 inches a year, along with the rest of the
Pacific Plate.  Which is about 4 inches/yr. faster than the OS
consortium.

>   * Both SCO (Doug Michaels) and Ransom Love (Caldera) talked about
>     how Linux will be the development platform and the Linux API and
>     ABI will be ported to the other systems.  Thus, everything will
>     have the look and feel of Linux.  SCO should be good at this as
>     they made V7 UNIX look like SVR4 UNIX.
>
> In the deal Caldera got 15,000 ISVs and a sales force.  In six months
> there may be existing customers still buying copies of UnixWare or
> Open Server but the new people will be going with Linux.  Support
> should quickly transition to the Linux camp.

Interesting how things change.  When I first proposed SAS on Linux to
the SAS Institute, the response whas that they already supported x86
Linux under Slowaris86 and SCO, and through the Intel ABI compatibility
standard.  Now Linux *is* the iUnix binary compatibility standard, SCO
is dead (or good as), and .... what's happening with Solaris86 these
days?  BTW, is there any control retained over the Unix trademark by SCO
or Caldera?  We might finally be really close to saying Linux *is* Unix
by that (meaningless) metric too.

What are the significant ISV partners Caldera's picking up?