[linux-elitists] (forw) Elfstone Linux

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Wed Apr 5 09:53:55 PDT 2000

> On mar, avr 04, 2000 at 08:03:35 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> > How very peculiar.  Note the introductory text from their product page:
> >
> >    "Elfstone Linux is a highly stable Linux distribution specifically
> >    designed for programmers, engineers, and network administrators. As a
> >    real working network OS and, perhaps, the most Unix-like of all
> >    commercial distributions, Elfstone Linux is built around the OSF Motif
> >    2.1 API with a universal package management feature. This distribution
> >    currently based on the .RPM format easily allows for the installation of
> >    both RPMs and Tar/Tar.gz packages."
>
> Cool, I always wanted a distribution that lets me install all the great
> slackware packages out there...
>
> Marc

Well, there are RPM based systems that aren't RedHat based systems (like
TurboLinux) ... so maybe they've got something.

And our household would certainly put them to the test; we've got Terry with
his circuitry and physics interest, and Jim and I just steeped in it, and
the lot of us all with the programmer bit set but frankly, every at-the-desk
dev environment on the planet just sucks rocks for dropping an ongoing
project into.

(This is where sourceforge has made its win, I suspect.  CVS is just easy
enough to drop into and keep rolling, but hogs lotsa disk, and having the
other aspects of team support there makes it reasonable to make the effort.)

Hey Rick, if you won't take it, I will.  I have a few blank spaces in my
installfest kit. (Since I gave the BSDs a dedicated case ;D) And I actually
have bumped into people who care about having real Motif instead of faking
it.  I'd want to know the re-distrib license of course so I can keep it in
the right section.

See y'all at SVLUG.

  Heather Stern -*- star@           (personal)        -*- starshine.org
- Sr. Dev. Engr -*- Tuxtops, Inc. - Linux on Laptops! -*- tuxtops.com ----- -