[linux-elitists] Laptop mania

Heather Stern star@starshine.org
Wed Jun 16 19:17:02 PDT 1999

Ben Woodard wrote:
> You know one thing that I have found so weird here at VA is that
> pretty much installs linux off of CD's. To me that is exceedingly
> weird. At Cisco we _ALWAYS_ installed off of a networked ftp server.
> In my experience, installing off of the network always works better
> for laptops than using a CD. It seems the installers seem to make
> more assumptions about the availability of the CD-ROM than they do
> about the availability of the network interface. Thus the late binding
> of the network interface allows you to more easily slip the card
> services in underneath it. Also some laptops need some sort of black
> magic to make the CD-ROM work and it is often difficult to figure out
> what little bit you have to frig with to make CD's work.
>
> -ben

So what you're saying adds up to, lucky thing I have PCMCIA based ATAPI
CD, because the laptops with built-in CDs often get wacky support (from
the boot disks - one assumes things are a bit better after the install
finishes and you reboot on a normal kernel) ...

... FTP based install works better all around, assuming you have another
machine to serve.  Speaking of which I hear Caldera can be installed
across the open 'net, like FreeBSD.  Anyone play with that yet?

* Heather * star@starshine.org * Yes I know you're called "daemons" but
                                 the end users get nervous about error
                                 messages that begin FIRE_AND_BRIMSTONE: