[linux-elitists] Laptop mania

Ben Woodard ben@valinux.com
Tue Jun 15 08:47:59 PDT 1999

You know one thing that I have found so weird here at VA is that
pretty much installs linux off of CD's. To me that is exceedingly
weird. At Cisco we _ALWAYS_ installed off of a networked ftp server.
In my experience, installing off of the network always works better
for laptops than using a CD. It seems the installers seem to make
more assumptions about the availability of the CD-ROM than they do
about the availability of the network interface. Thus the late binding
of the network interface allows you to more easily slip the card
services in underneath it. Also some laptops need some sort of black
magic to make the CD-ROM work and it is often difficult to figure out
what little bit you have to frig with to make CD's work.

-ben