[linux-elitists] Laptop mania

Heather Stern star@starshine.org
Tue Jun 15 03:03:51 PDT 1999

I've had an ongoing experiment with putting different disties on my laptop,
and trying to gather notes about their misbehaviors.  (In the really elite
notes, so far I've found that all the disties I tried have sucky installs
for laptops, and some of them fall into the "worse than that" clause of
Sturgeon's Law.  But I really must add the side note that my laptop can
only access a CD after PCMCIA services successfully fire up.)

I wonder how many of the rest of you are running linux on your laptop,
whether you actually tried more than one disty, and whether there's anything
that you think the previous posters about their laptops (mostly linked at
linux-laptops) clearly left out of their laptop web pages.  Because frankly,
once I make the page live, I plan to see it linked to a lot of things, so
I don't want to miss something 'obvious'.

My plan is to go around all the ports in the box, referring to anything
interesting or annoying as regards each.  And I'll add some commentary on
PC cards that I've tried, tho it ain't very many.  Probably a direct
pointer or even raw copies of applicable boot floppies for distributions.
Definitely a raw image of the last BIOS update, since the normal way of
getting it is (you guessed it) a DOS self-scribble to disk application.
And of course the raw disk writing programs for the usual culprits.

Potshots at the usual annoyances found in a laptop also accepted - if they
don't apply to mine, I can always use 'em to sing its praises instead.

-* Heather Stern -*- star@starshine.org *-