[linux-elitists] Putting my parents on Linux

gregory j pryzby pryzby@tux.org
Mon Jun 14 19:38:27 PDT 1999

dmarti@zgp.org wrote:

> This is the first real Linux question on linux-elitists, and
> I hope it's hard and open-ended enough to qualify.
>
> I'm facing the ultimate hardware selection and system
> administration problem: building and configuring a Linux
> box for my parents, several thousand miles away.
>
> They want mail, web browsing, and word processing (with
> printer)  The good news is they're not proprietary
> software weenies, so they won't miss specific applications.
>
> So I'm thinking Netscape and WordPerfect (which they already
> know from MS-DOS).
>
> On the hardware side, something like the Low Road K6 box with
> a quiet power supply (PC Power and Cooling) since it's for
> a non-geek home environment and I don't want the box to
> sound like a Shop-Vac(tm).
>
> The original Low Road box is at:
> http://zgp.org/~dmarti/electriclichen/low_road.shtml
> and I anticipate having to update it a bit for the
> currently available hardware.

1 year ago
K2-6 (or K6-2) 300  3D!Now
EPoX MB
Matrox Mill II w/ 4M AGP
128M RAM (100MHz)
IBM 8.5G
IDE CDROM
Floppy
NE2000
about 1000$US

(prices have dropped)

> Now the hard part: I will not have access to the machine
> at all, and if something gets badly enough hosed to prevent
> ssh access, I was thinking it would be good for them to
> be able to pop out the hard drive and ship it to me.
> There are a couple of ways to do this, and I could use a
> recommendation.

Kingston Removable (or similar vendor).

There is a case that allows you to put the drive on a tray
and the tray slides right out. You do need to unplug the drive
and power but it is very simple to do... and the cable is
keyed...