[linux-elitists] Putting my parents on Linux

dmarti@zgp.org dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Jun 14 10:24:01 PDT 1999

This is the first real Linux question on linux-elitists, and
I hope it's hard and open-ended enough to qualify.

I'm facing the ultimate hardware selection and system
administration problem: building and configuring a Linux
box for my parents, several thousand miles away.

They want mail, web browsing, and word processing (with
printer)  The good news is they're not proprietary
software weenies, so they won't miss specific applications.

So I'm thinking Netscape and WordPerfect (which they already
know from MS-DOS).

On the hardware side, something like the Low Road K6 box with
a quiet power supply (PC Power and Cooling) since it's for
a non-geek home environment and I don't want the box to
sound like a Shop-Vac(tm).

The original Low Road box is at:
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/electriclichen/low_road.shtml
and I anticipate having to update it a bit for the
currently available hardware.

Now the hard part: I will not have access to the machine
at all, and if something gets badly enough hosed to prevent
ssh access, I was thinking it would be good for them to
be able to pop out the hard drive and ship it to me.
There are a couple of ways to do this, and I could use a
recommendation.

Any other suggestions for setting up a Linux box for this
situation would be welcome too.

--
Don Marti
dmarti@zgp.org