[linux-elitists] OK, I went off today

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Tue Jul 27 15:58:31 PDT 1999

I was extremely peeved with frustration for my alma mater (I'm in grad
school) about their "upgrade" of the ESET (electronic student, electronic
teacher) system used to log homework submissions. Originally, it was a
command-line program with a primitive web interface. Now it requires
fscking javascript and ONLY supports MSIE and Netscape (though I did
successfully submit homework by hacking Omniweb once <g>).

Anyway, below is my rant, sent to my advisor, the dean, my instructor, and
one of the support staff. This has escalated from prior, politer issues
taken up with everyone BUT the dean.

--
_Deirdre   *   http://www.linuxcabal.net   *   http://www.deirdre.net
Indeed, when I design my killer language, the identifiers "foo" and "bar"
will be reserved words, never used, and not even mentioned in the
reference manual.  Any program using one will simply dump core without
comment. Multitudes will rejoice. -- Tim Peters

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 15:07:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Deirdre Saoirse <deirdre@deirdre.net>
To: Kevin R. Richardson <kevinr@scis.acast.nova.edu>
Cc: whartman@scis.acast.nova.edu, kimsd@scis.acast.nova.edu,
     lieblein@scis.acast.nova.edu, savinod@scis.acast.nova.edu
Subject: Problems: ESET & extreme frustration with the SCIS program direction

I don't know who wrote your upload code, but there's something wrong with
it. It makes netscape dump core on my machine (I have previously
professionally written html upload support in Python, Java and Javascript,
therefore I can say for certain it's not my browser as I have tested that
file uploads do indeed work with my browser, which is Netscape 4.61 on
LinuxPPC).

Ergo, I have not been able to formally submit assignments. Even so, they
were only accepted in .doc, .ppt and .xls formats, which I consider
unacceptable. Note that the MacOS doesn't HAVE file format extensions, so
how do you guarantee those? Why should I have to pay Bill Gates money in
order to submit homework? Isn't this about education? What in the world
makes a .doc format more "educated" than a text file? Why not allow html,
which allows formatting, but doesn't have the proprietary tax?

What means am I to use? The old command-line eset is alas gone.

I'm getting more and more frustrated with this and am considering
resigning from the program if the move toward Windows-only proprietary
protocols continues. I joined the program BECAUSE it wasn't
platform-specific.

It's *because* of my involvement in this program that I became a Unix
geek. I distinctly recall having to fly to Ft. Lauderdale TO LEARN
UNIX so that I could succed in the program. The irony is that you're not
letting me USE those skills. You're not even giving me the option!

Now I work in Unix all day, every day. And I'm being penalized? It doesn't
make sense. *I* grew, but the school seems to be in retrograde motion.