[linux-elitists] Congrats

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre@deirdre.net
Thu Dec 9 15:28:45 PST 1999

On Thu, 9 Dec 1999, Heather wrote:

> though sadly, another software company tried to IPO today too, and got
> a lot of the wind yanked out of its sails.  (Now I gotta go read its
> prospectus and see if it looks like a hot buy while it's down)

Yep.

> And now some bigwig in the SEC is standing infront of the Mack truck
> labelled "IPO" waving a sign, er, press release saying "IPO fever is
> crazier than ever, and normal people ought to stay out."  paraquotes.
> You want precision, read it yourself on Nasdaq.com.

"You little people shouldn't risk your precious dollars. We know you
really don't know what you're doing because you don't have a PhD in the
field...."

Actually, it reminds me of that section about business plans in
Cryptonomicon.

> And while we're being elite, those who snooze, lose the initial offer
> having been boosted to 140 instead of 50 or 100... if you want, and
> you call to confirm.  Of course, we called already!  The staff said that
> decision went through at something like 4 am.  Must have been 4 am Eastern.
> By 4 am Pacific the market would have opened already.

I called to confirm before the email hit, so I got a live human! :)

--
_Deirdre   *   http://www.linuxcabal.net   *   http://www.deirdre.net
"Mars has been a tough target" -- Peter G. Neumann, Risks Digest Moderator